9.03.2010

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

To celebrate 25 years of British ELLE, I was invited to join them in their biggest editorial ever. The inspiration for the shoot was a 1969 Jane Fonda movie called "They Shoot Horses, Don't they?". The premise of the film and of the shoot was a depression era dance competition in which couples literally danced until they dropped, sometimes for days on end with little to no sleep.

The Elle team and I set up in a giant warehouse in Brooklyn to reenact this movie. For three days the other models and I pushed ourselves past the point of exhaustion to dance all day, every day in a space that was probably over 100 degrees in temperature. This was method acting at its finest as we were literally living the movie. The shoot was probably one of the most intense I've ever experienced, but the pictures that resulted were worth the effort. I was so thankful to have such an amazing group to work with. Anne-Marie Curtis the fashion director at Elle UK was wonderful and a genuinely sweet lady. Billy Brasfield and Rolando Beauchamp were on make-up and hair - both are masters at their craft and also two of the funniest men you'll ever meet. They managed to keep everyone's spirits up despite the heat and the exhaustion. I thank my dream-team from the bottom of my heart for making this shoot one I'm sure we will all never forget.


For more of the 25 incredible pictures, please visit my Official Facebook page, here.
xoxo
COCO

27 comments:

Christina said...

OMG! I really love these pinctures!!! specially "the cargo pants" where the expression of your face is amazing.
You're BIG!
xx

Justyna said...

so beautiful! you did it justice and then some!

xo

justyna

Carly said...

The first thing I noticed in October Elle was this editorial, you look incredible and i love that hair on you. It must have been hard work but it really looks amazing and you must be so proud. x x

Not Specified said...

Really amazing photos, love them
and of course, you're a very good model :) Beautiful!
xxx

http://not-just-clothes.blogspot.com/

Micah Saccomanno said...

What a great idea! I love the concept in these gloomy economic times.

Anonymous said...

"They shoot horses, don't they?" was also the theme of one of the most amazing Alexander McQueen shows.
Gorgeous ed, congratulations! You can really feel the atmosphere you describe.

Lisa Petrarca said...

AMAZING photos COCO! My son was actually in the shoot with you, Jullien Herrera (in your facebook picture holding your shoe!).

Thanks for sharing!!

Krissy1799 said...

first to comment! :o hahaa loooove all the pics! thats great to just dance all the time :) amazing pics x

Sarah said...

this is amazing!
somehow-someday.blogspot.com
x

Anne said...

Ahhh, the lengths you go through Coco. That shoot is amazing, you look fab :)
xoxo

Tales From a Bar Stool said...

That is one very sexy little black dress. In fact, the whole shoot is giving me goosebumps. If only all bars had lighting and ambiance like that. Can you imagine?

cArLa said...

love the black and white photo the best, they are all pretty amazing!

Jasmin said...

your poses and your face are FIERCE!

http://unefilleunreve.blogspot.com

Annie said...

oh coco you are SUCH a good model!! I LOVE this editorial, congratulations! x

Just Another Londoner said...

I was so excited when I opened Elle this month and saw this shoot! It's a wonderful editorial, good work :) x

Beaa said...

it was just, amazing.

Jack Daniel said...

Who is the photographer of this beautiful shooting?

Unknown said...

Good work!!
I like specially the third picture, the one you are lying. Your face is really special in this photo!!
I invite you to see my new illustrations :-)

Not.Gonna.Lie. said...

wow you're hair looks so great that curly and short! this is a great shoot

I'd love it if you could check out my blog if you have time :)

not-gonnna-lie.blogspot.com

Enrique Echávarri said...

beautiful woman, amazing editorial, you're like a movie diva

n/a said...

Hello Coco!

Thank you for stopping in the street to say hello to me today! I had seen you in the area before, but was to nervous to say anything! You're even more gorgeous in person, it was a pleasure to meet you and James!

I'm a photography student at SVA, it would be a dream come true to photograph you some day! You're an artistic and versatile model, keep up the great work!!

:)
Melissa

http://www.melissaharrisonphotography.com

Jen said...

Wow, these shots are gorgeous!!

Reyni Ramírez said...

amazing!!!

the secret of fashion said...

I liked this, and also the interview, nice Coco! xx

dimitri said...

Beautiful pics !

360°North said...

love this Paris When it Sizzles theme [audrey <3]

you do her perfect in 2nd last picture.

love ur blog keep blogging zxxx

Anonymous said...

You didn't credit the photographer? These are amazing pics..