7.19.2010

Oh So Behati

A few months back my good friend Behati offered to take some pictures of James and I in our engagement bliss. Many of you will know Behati for her work in front of the camera as one of the worlds most beloved models, but unbeknown to many she has also been developing her skills behind the camera too! Here's a little conversation we had recently about her new found skills. And whatever you do, don't call her a model-slash anything!



Coco: So Behati, you're well known as a model and now even as a designer with the pieces you've created for Victoria's Secret. How long have you had this secret life as a photographer?!


Behati: Haha my secret life has been blossoming for more than a year now! I only shoot film, mostly black and white, and I use a Nikon F10 and also the Contax G2 Jamie got me for my birthday!

Coco: Why do you choose to use old school film and developing? You know the rest of the world went digital 10 years ago, right?


Behati:  Yeah, I know, but film cameras just came out in Africa!  I try to keep up with my country Coco, we're 10 years behind!! No in all seriousness, I love film. Helmut Newton's pictures are amazing and that's what I want! I think digital in some ways took away a photographers freeness. Not knowing what you have and seeing the pictures when you develop them is really nice. Every one comes out different and I love the feel of film, the way it looks.


Coco: It's sort of a dying art, do you find yourself asking older photographers on set a lot of extra questions?

Behati: Yeah all the time, and they love helping me because most of them used to shoot film and now do digital because its cheaper. As soon as they see my old school camera they grab it! I've learned a lot on shoots from everyone - Matt Jones said I should come assist him just to learn how to do light reading and stuff... or, maybe I forced him in to that haha!

Coco: Haha! Either way that would be fun! Do you remember the first picture's you ever took?

Behati: Yeah they were in Tompkins Square Park in New York. My first roll of film was of Jamie and Boyd and an eagle eating a squirrel!? haha, epic. Most of that film came out too dark and you can barley see there faces, but it was fun!

Coco: Eating a squirrel!? Sounds terrifying! Makes me wonder what the last set of pictures you took was?

Behati: The last picture's I took were of you at you're wedding! They all came out perfect, I could not be happier!



Coco: James and I loved them too! They feel so classic and timeless. So, other than brides and dead squirrels, what are your favorite subjects to photograph and why?

Behati: Mostly people. I take random portraits of people I meet on the street and of my friends just being silly! I love very simple black and white shots that are very raw - no make up, hair or fashion - just the person and what's happening in that moment! I think thats very real and beautiful!



Coco: I loved our photo shoot together for that reason. There was no hair and makeup fussing, no stylist and directors giving conflicting orders. Just you me and James.


Behati: I loved shooting you guys.  As your friend it's amazing to see you with James and so happy. To be the first one to shoot you both so was very special, that whole day was memorable and a lot of fun!! I remember buying a scooter right after we shot it and all of us riding from 86th street all the way to my house on 11th street. I was exhausted! Haha. I'll always remember you and James in the park, being so in love!

Coco: Yes, hours upon hours of public displays of affection in central park! Haha. James wants to know if you think he has what it takes to take his modeling to the next level...

Behati: Oh for sure, he was super duper amazing. He took direction very well, from both of us haha! He'll be the next big thing!


Coco: He'll be happy to hear that. So is there someone other than the Conran's that you'd love to photograph but haven't had the chance to?

Behati: I once saw Keith Richards in a hotel having dinner. I so badly wanted to go up to him and take a portrait but I just couldn't get myself to go over there and disturb him!  Id also love to take a portrait of Tilda Swinton. It would be amazing to travel with a band or skater kids and document a whole year of their lives in old school rock and roll black and white grainy pictures!




Coco: You should kill two birds with one stone and just follow Keith and The Stones around for a year! I'm sure they wouldn't mind the company...

Behati: Not a bad idea haha!

Coco: Speaking of which, we noticed you lugging a LOT of equipment around for our shoot, all by your little self. When are you going to get yourself an assistant?


Behati: Haha yeah that was very heavy, I think its time!  Thanks to James for helping me carry everything around - while he was on his scooter - with you on the back of it as well! If you know of any potential assistants shoot me an email haha ;)



Coco: I'm guessing a couple of our readers would love to take that position!  We will send contact information your way! Any inspirational last words you'd like to leave Oh So Coco readers with?

Behati: Love will save the world! xoxo

Coco: I agree! Thank you for the wonderful day Behati, I think you're wonderful and can't wait to see what you have in store for us  all next.

If you'd like to see more of the pictures we took that day, I've posted 50 of them on my Official Facebook page. Feel free to check them out and leave Behati a comment!


XOXO COCO


61 comments:

NLR said...

So beautiful pictures! And your love is so pure that it just shines through the lens. Amazing :-)

Artschool Girlfriend said...

Hi Coco! The photo set in your facebook account are all lovely! Do you mind asking Behati if having a scooter is a requirement to become her assistant?? Hehe.

And aside from you being a model and designer (for rococo)... any secret life you want to share with us??

:D

Unknown said...

Oh Coco! I am so Happy for you! Truly,I am. May God guide you all the way! Congratulations!

XOXO

Jourdane <3

Robbie J said...

all of the photos are amazing, you look sooooo in love, I love it! :D

Mel said...

Would Behati seriously consider having us as an assistant? Photography is my absolute favorite thing. Specifically, shooting portraits and people, just like her! And I'm from NY!

Patricia said...

Gorgeous! We went with a more The Notebook vintage look for us, but it doesn't hurt for you being a model for your pictures to look so good!

Http://www.pinkpeonieswithlove.blogspot.com

Lucy in the Sky said...

This is beautiful! I dabble in film and I'm just impressed by the color and contrast in her shots!

Anna said...

I didn't know Behati was so talented behind the camera!! This is just the kind of pictures I love, the air and the feeling these pictures show is just so relaxed, so natural, it's gorgeous!!

Anne said...

Behati's an amazing photographer! I love how you two look like you popped out of an old romantics' movie for young love! The perfect couple. ILY Coco Rocha Conran!

MarĂ­a D. Valderrama said...

they're so beautiful. I love the forth one :)

sarah said...

these are wonderful, and playful, and basically, girl's got talent.
all the best,
s.

Anonymous said...

Those photos are amazing! The love is so evident, and those photos just make me smile. You two are so sweet together!

Ploy Henderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Amazing photos Coco! So wonderfully romantic.

xxxx

augustalolita said...

lovely photos!! so romantic looking!!

Will said...

Ahhhh, great interview with Behati, but I can't stop staring at the photos, they are just beautiful, happy for you and James;D

Great work, Behati, hope to see more of your photograph:D

Unknown said...

Nice to see you two in charge again...Behati and Coco are the best...I'd like to see your next work..
And photos are great...Behati is very talented about taking photos..and You and James look cute...
Have a nice time...

Roya said...

These photos are gorgeous, I love them!

secretheart said...

You two looks so amazingly happy! Probably the cutest and most in love couple I've seen in a long time ♥
Those pictures really made me smile!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

OH goodness these are amazing and so sweet!! I love them!! I see you love one another!

Carissa said...

beautiful shots!! I never knew she is so talented!! love it!

hannah, heart city said...

gorgeous photos! what a happy couple!

Anonymous said...

Dear Coco and Behati
I think the photo shooting is one of the most beautiful and fresh I've seen. It reflects perfectly how in love you guys are and the chemistry between you. Coco, I have to tell you, this guy really loves you; the way he looks at you, no words can describe that. Behati, I really enjoy your work and it shows how talented you are, as well as reflecting your fun personality. Both of you girls are lovely! Thank you for the blog!
Kiss, kiss from Spain!!

marniboy said...

congratulations! wow, Behati sure has an eye for photography. Gorgeous shots, loovee it.

PiruletadeGato said...

woow amazing pictures!
:)

Rupinder said...

Many describe themselves as actors not expected to verbally express themselves unless to visually enhance a photograph.


Elite Models

Zabrinah said...

Wow! This looks like a magazine spread!!! Like a dream come true. So gorgeous! I love everything about your blog, dear!

Best wishes from one blogger to another,

~Zabrinah

Anonymous said...

I totally loved those pictures, congratulations to behati :)

Emily Jane said...

Gorgeous photos! I love them!

Jaz, Pachu & Dolo said...

That photos are SO cute, i love them! I really like your blog. Kisses

http://people-towatch.blogspot.com/

Pamola said...

So cute!! I love them!

nik said...

adorable! i luv the romance and fun in the pictures. behati is a great photog. i'm glad she's getting into it. can't wait to see more of her work!

nikjillb.blogspot.com

pumps & luiers said...

very sweet and loving pics!
x

Anonymous said...

beautiful photos! My favourite is the semi-exposed one of you guys on the bridge.

I'd forgotten the fun things one can do with film, especially if you develop your own.

Can't wait to see some of Behati's portraits.

Ps - the new Arcade Fire has a song called.... Rococo!

Fernanda dauphine said...

haha I'm laughing at the fact that..

I gave you an award on my blog!

I'll work for Behati, but I have to say, I expect a good payment, vacations, holidays off, and some pink goodies! oh and some therapy sessions.. I don't know how working for a supermodel may affect my self-steam, oh and do you think she can take a picture of gorgeous jamie for me to post on my bedroom wall? ;D

Park said...

love the pictures.

joyce said...

GREAT PICS!!! i love this kind of natural pics more than those we see on medai nowadays...all the best behati~

ooh-lala blog said...

these pictures are beautiful !

Pieter said...

Hey Behati, ek weet nie van Namibie nie, maar in Suid-Afrika is ons 5 jaar agter, ons het darem al digitaal:)

Btw. I stumbled onto your blog googling the lyrics to the Flight of the Conchords song: you're so beautiful, you could be a part time model...hehe

Unknown said...

The pictures are sooo beautiful!!!love them all
xoxo from
http://queendom-of-fashion.blogspot.com/

ElodieVeryPetit said...

gorgeous lil pics ! can feel the love !

Style Souk said...

These are such beautiful pictures - they literally exude romance.

Behati is one outrageously talented lady!

Sarah x

STYLE SOUK - Fashion Blog

City Girl (EC1) said...

These are so lovely! gorgeous. And congratulations! :) City Girl x

Perth Lawyers said...

I feel the love over there pretty

LA said...

Great shots!

SO ROMANTIC! ;)






LA

Anonymous said...

beautiful photographs. xoxo M



www.paraphernaliainyourcloset.blogspot.com

Krissy1799 said...

great pics :D behati and you are my favourite models :) so happy for you and james take care x

Howard Shum said...

Cool photos, Behati!

itsgoodtobepham said...

These romantic photos are like stills from a movie! Adorable.

-Stephen Pham
http://itsgoodtobepham.wordpress.com

expresswhatyoufeel said...

wow these was so sweet

staysuperfit said...

love the pix

ronelworld said...

love these and i liked your fb page as well

ronelmarin.com said...

love all about these darling..so great

tenisharayshel said...

tooo cute!!!!!!!!!

iammichellexoxo said...

great shots behati! coco you and james are so in love the pictures will speak for themselves. congratulations mr and mrs conran!^^,xoxo

T said...

So sweet and beautiful!

Samantha Lui said...

These are gorgeous photos!

my_name_is_what said...

lovely photos! they make me want to fall in love...

Behati,I wouldn't mind being your assistant.it'll be loads of fun - you,me,and Coco.. lots of giggling and fun girly stuff!

Coco.. I am so happy for you.you are truly glowing..you are getting lovelier each day

James,please take care of my dear Coco..

alyssa.ashley said...

Coco, does Behati really have a position open as a photographer's assistant? I'd love more info on this if so! I'm a young 20something female working in NYC as an engineer but I'm looking for a job change haha!

alyssa.ashley said...

hi coco!

Your blog is my favorite! My name is Alyssa and I'm a 20something living in NYC and working as an engineer..but trying to find a new career. I was wondering how serious you were about advertising for Behati's photography assistant? I'd love to apply! You should let us all know if the position is for real! That would be so neat if I could apply!

gucci uk said...

it is really cool and sweet of your post xoxo